Dr. Deborah A. Thomas O.D. sold her practice in the Heights/Oak Forest area of Houston, TX in 2013 so she could dedicate more of her time to her new business “Save Your Sight Screenings”. Dr Thomas has been conducting research on the latest diagnostic technology for the last ten years. She realized using advanced technology could detect diseases earlier than routine vision exams and that she could help the most people by sending mobile units to groups – churches, community centers, retirement facilities and corporations.
As a result she created “Save Your Sight Screenings” and is committed to preventing blindness through the early detection and treatment of the leading causes of blindness utilizing the latest technology available.
She was chief owner operator of Dr. Deborah A. Thomas O.D. & Associates at 1337 W. 43rd St. Houston, TX 77018 in the Heights/Oak Forest area 2004 to 2014. Providing comprehensive eye care and diagnosis and treatment of ocular diseases. Her practice at this location included a full service optical store. Dr. Thomas personally advised patients of their lens options and offered custom free form technology.
Specialties: Early diagnosis and treatment of glaucoma, macular degeneration, and diabetic retinopathy, glaucoma specialist, therapeutic optometry, contact lens specialty, allergies and dry eye treatment, refractive surgery co-management.
Operated as Dr. Deborah A. Thomas, O.D. at a group practice in West Houston, TX 1997 to 2004. Specialties included therapeutic optometry, contact lens specialty, spectacles sales and refractive surgery co-management.
Director of Professional Services for 'What a Relief” professional employment organization during 1997-2000.
Development of Lasik Marketing Program for West Houston practice 1998. Provided extensive support and resource materials, reference manuals for pre and post op protocols, education and training.
Doctor of Optometry next to Lens Crafters in West Houston, TX 1990-1997. Emphasis on primary optometry and contact lens specialty
Private Solo Practice and optical company 'I Care Optical' 1983-1990. West Houston, TX practice in primary optometry, contact lenses, spectacles and co-management on refractive surgery with Ralph Berkley MD.
Part time preceptor/clinical instructor at UHCO Eye Institute in general, ocular diagnostic and contact lens specialty clinics.
- Bachelor of Science from University of Houston -1981
- Magna Cum Laude
- Doctorate of Optometry-
- University of Houston College of
- Optometry, Houston, TX -1983
- Graduated Magna Cum Laude
- Optometric License - 1983
- Therapeutic License - 1992
- Glaucoma Specialist - 2004
Awards and Recognition
- UHCO Dean's Lists
- Beta Sigma Kappa Honor Fraternity
- International Honor Fraternity
- Leaders Choice Award for Best Eye Care Professional 2013
- Early diagnosis and treatment of glaucoma, macular Degeneration and diabetic retinopathy
- Dry eye therapy
- Ocular allergy treatment
- Refractive surgery
- Nutritional support for overall ocular health
- Homeopathic treatments for eye disease
- Harris County Optometric Society
- Member of Memorial Spring Branch Rotary Club
- Member of Executive Roundtable Business Club
- Member of Greater Houston Chamber of Commerce
- Adjunct Professor to UHCO Eye Institute
Community Involvement and Charitable Work
Participation in Charitable work with the less fortunate:
- Triage Katrina evacuees at the safety shelter in George R. Brown Convention Center
- Work health fairs at neighborhood clinics
- Volunteer professional services at Rotary events
Member of Board of Directors for 'You're Living Proof', a non-profit organization helping survivors of domestic violence.